Each correct answer is awarded one point (unless otherwise noted) towards to final rankings in the Rbk Challenge. Incorrect answers are worth zero points.
Answers must be emailed before goalie takes the ice for the next session to firstname.lastname@example.org. No answers will be accepted after the goalie’s session has begun. Once answers turned in (at camp or via email), all answers are final
Week 10’s trivia focuses on articles from the Elite Goaltending Blog.
1. True or False – During tryouts, coaches tend not to care if the goalie is predictable in their play.
2. For tryouts all of the following are true but:
- Drink water throughout the day so you are well hydrated
- Eat 2-3 hours before on the ice
- While in the locker room before the ice sessions, it is a good idea to visit with all the other players to get a sense if they are ready.
- Goalies must battle for every shot and rebound
3. True or False – For goalies during a tryout, it is wise to pay particular attention to how all the other goalies are playing
4. True or False – When something occurs on the ice resulting in the goalie’s emotions to get high, he will be able to think clearly of the consequences of his behavior and should act accordingly.
5. All of the following are reasons for goaltending success except:
- They Have a Passion for Goalie Sticks
- They are Mentally Tough
- They Have a Fighting Spirit
- They have a Daily Work Ethic
6. Generally, successful goalies worry about things they can _______.
7. The following are reasons for a goalie to cover the puck and force a face-off except:
- Team is having trouble getting puck out of the defensive zone.
- When his team’s 1st line is on the ice with the opponent’s 3rd.
- Teammate is hurt on the ice and whistle has not blown
- Team needs a line change – players on the ice have been out too long while the opposing team has been able to replace players on ice with fresh skaters.
8. True or False: It is a good idea to wait and inspect gear for problems shortly before leaving for the rink for tryouts.
9. True or False. According to the post featuring Dan Blackburn’s article, developing a strong pre-game routine allows goalies to enter games calm.
10. Group Specific Question
- Group One Question – It was recommended during the last ice session, goalies should not play the puck outside of the net until they are in what age group?
- Group Two Question – Goalie’s team is on a 5-on-4 power play during the second period and the opposing team ices the puck down to the goalie. Having been on the ice for a long time, three of the opposing players head to the bench, which is closest to the goalie, for fresh skaters. What should the goalie do with the puck?
NOTE – FOR GROUP ONE, THE “GROUP TWO QUESTION” IS A BONUS QUESTION. IF YOU GET IT RIGHT, YOU WILL RECEIVE 2 BONUS POINTS IN THE RBK CHALLENGE. IF YOU PROVIDE AN INCORRECT ANSWER, YOU WILL HAVE ONE POINT DEDUCTED FROM YOUR OVERALL SCORE.
GROUP ONE GOALIES, ARE YOU GOING TO ROLL THE DICE???